History of the Phrase: In the Blue/Feeling Blue



I have received queries from online friends asking my status, and I tell them I am in the blue. It is ironic, because I prefer the color blue rather than the color pink. I would rather be surrounded with different hues of blue than the pink ones. It brings me goose bumps I would want to puke. ( I am just stating my opinion, I do not mean any harm to those who love the color pink). Therefore, I had the earnest desire to discover how the phrase in the blue came into existence.



These are the results of my short research work:

Navy Terminology
In the blue is synonymous to the term “feeling blue.” It is believe to have been associated with the custom of ship workers to fly a blue flag or paint the entire hull blue upon returning home when their captain or any commanding officer dies on voyage. Rather than use the color black, which is commonly used to signify death, they chose the color blue.



Wikipedia Response
The online source for many responds by saying that blue has always been associated with rain and storms. Greek mythology suggests that rain signifies the tears of Zeus and the storm signifies his wrath. Nevertheless, I wonder if this is really the source of the phrase.



Response of Psychology
The color blue is often associated with depression and fear, but studies show the seeing the color blue like the sky and the ocean brings a sense of calmness to an individual. It is true based on my own experience, so it really intrigues me why it has been associated with depression and fear.



The Response of Art
Picasson is known for the art he produced during his so-called Blue Period. This was triggered upon the suicide of his friend Carlos Casegemas. To share his feeling of melancholy, he used different shade of blue. The pain and sadness can be felt in his drawings, but does this mean that the perception of the color blue varies on how an individual feels and it is not the color blue that directs the feeling of the individual?




In a study conducted by the Biological Psychiatry, they discovered that people under depression experience reduced sensitivity to contrast. This makes them perceive the world differently. Thus, the blue sky that gives tranquility and the blue waves that brings calmness sends different emotions to them. Read more about this study at http://scienceblogs.com/neurophilosophy/2010/07/22/feeling-blue-seeing-gray/.


So where does this leave me? It leaves me in the blue because now I am still confused on how the phrase ever started.

Let me finish this blog with a few blue phrases I managed to find during my search for the etymology of the phrase in the blue and a song from Nell.


  1. blue pill                       :           the blissful ignorance of illusion
  2. stay in the blue            :           tolerable alcohol content which is equivalent to .06

NELL,  a Korean band I recently discovered. I like their choice of song and his interpretation of the music.

This is the original version from Sinnead O'Connor



I am still in the blue. I guess because a dear friend left us. My heart is not beating too well. I feel sick inside and out. Let this be my temporary therapy.

Read more of her thoughts on her random thoughts page.

Comments

Popular Posts